(RLC External Expert - Dispute Resolution Practice) Barrister and Attorney at Law, called to the Bar of England and Wales in 1995 and Trinidad and Tobago in 1996.
Qualified to practice throughout the Commonwealth Caribbean, Justin Phelps is one of the region's outstanding commercial litigators with a specialization in Advocacy.
His practice has been concentrated in the areas of corporate, commercial and civil litigation, arbitration, public inquiries and other statutory tribunals.
He is a certified Mediator and recommended as a commercial negotiator who can deliver results. Some of his noteworthy cases include:
- Casolari -v- Agricultural Development Bank (ADB) (Banking and Finance);
- WCMC v British Gas (Mediation clause, building and construction contract)
- Tradebridge Limited -v- Minister of Tr
ade and Industry (Regional competition law, Anti-dumping duties, commercial constitutional rights);
- Maersk International -v- Board of Inland Revenue (Tax, VAT, appeal)
- Theodore Guerra -v- The Guardian Newspapers Limited (defamation);
- Clinton Bernard -v- The Guardian Newspaper (defamation);
- Commission of Inquiry into Piarco Airport Development Project (Corruption, procurement, bid-rigging, misbehaviour in public office);
- Dr. I. Perot -v- Taurus Services Limited (mortgage law, injunction, interest, banking and finance);
- Commission of Inquiry into collapse of CLICO (Corporate governance, white collar crime, fraud);
- Dr. Krishna Persad -v- Mora Oil Ventures Limited (Corporate crime, fraud);
- KPA Ltd -v- Moraven Holdings Limited (corporate structure, shareholder dispute, oppression);
- Sooknanan -v- Ramai (money lending, interest rates);
- Petrotrin -v- Board of Inland Revenue (Oil and gas revenue, Petroleum taxation);
- Singh -v- American Stores Ltd (Corporate disputes, minority shareholder rights, Company Act remedies),
- ICS (Grenada) Limited-v- NHIC Limited (Arbitration,building and construction);
- Dr. K.Persad –v- The Attorney General of Trinidad and Tobago (Constitutional law, rights and freedoms)
- Member, Rules Committee of the Supreme Court of Judicature. 2009-2011.
- Member, The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple. 1992-Present.
- Member, Queen’s Royal College Alumni Association. 1989 – Present.
Schedule a Consultation with this Expert
Convenient, online, real time access to legal advice and representation